Sunday, June 29, 2014

Ghosts Of Ragnar...


I ran into a friend at church today and I asked him how he was doing. He told me he had just slept from 10pm to 10am.

The reason for such a long sleep?

In a word: Ragnar. He, along with his friends, ran the Wasatch Back Ragnar race that was held this weekend, and he was tired.


The one and only time I participated in a Ragnar race was in 2012. It was an amazing experience and even though I was given the almost nine mile, uphill the entire time (and that's not "old people" speak given to young whippersnappers...) leg of the race, I had a great time.

But, I've not returned.

There's a couple of reasons for this. I can always blame the cost of the event as the main reason for not doing another Ragnar race. However, an equally-sized stumbling block is I don't exercise on a regular basis, and to do Ragnar right, you should be prepared. Any race you run you want to do your best, to push yourself more than even you thought possible. 

My friend's comment at church today as well as seeing posts on Facebook of other friends successfully completing this weekend's Ragnar race brought back good memories, memories that came with little sleep, sore muscles and tough runs. So now, as the sun continues to erase the evidence that I completed a Ragnar race from the back window of my car, I wonder if I will again join eleven other people and spend a weekend pushing ourselves to the limit.

Maybe one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment