Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Ed Catmull's "Creativity, Inc."...A Book Review

Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration*

There are some people--like me and my wife--who, if we really like a movie, will search out and watch the director's comments, or additional comments on the DVD (if one is available...). Just listening to those "in the know" as they discuss the film we find fascinating.

That's only one reason why I LOVE this book!

Of course, there's many reasons why I enjoyed Ed Catmull's Creativity, Inc. (with Amy Wallace) so much. Getting a behind-the-scenes look at some of my favorite movies was a lot of fun, but what's most impressive about Catmull's book is the dedication he and others at Pixar have toward making, not only the best product possible, but the best place in which to make that product.

In short, I was blown away! 

I'm going to be starting a new job in a few days, a job that until I begin, doesn't exist. Maybe that's why the book affected me so much. Maybe it's because I--like many of you--work for an organization that is blocked from creating a similar work environment. Maybe it's because they made a conscience decision to be the best. Maybe it's all these reasons and more.

If you're a fan of Pixar, and by extension, Disney animated movies, you'll enjoy learning about the company's evolution. If you're a manager wondering how to foster a more welcoming atmosphere at work, you'll appreciate this book. And if you're creative, you'll devour this book and wish you could work for a company like theirs. But then, I believe Catmull wrote the book in the first place to try and let as many people as possible know what it's like to work for a company like Pixar. 

Ed Catmull (and your amazing team...), thank you for the movies, the book, the feelings, and the memories.


* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/18077903-creativity-inc

No comments:

Post a Comment