Sunday, June 22, 2014

It's A Cat, Not A Piranha...A Short Story


424644321_110b1a3d75_o

file000527413496
It's Another Weekly Writing Prompt!

Last week I did not participate in the weekly writing challenge. It was Father's Day and I wanted to write something about that. But I do enjoy writing these sometimes challenging little stories. They're fun and I believe, improve my skills as a writer.

Of course, if you'd like to join the fun, here are the rules:

1) Use both photos in your story.
2) Keep your word count 500 or less.
3) You have until next Tuesday night to link up your post.
4) Add your story to (Blue Link) at Leanne's, Debb's or Tena's websites.
5) Have fun, don't stress, let those creative juices flow!

Let's give it a go!

It's A Cat, Not A Piranha

"What? A cat person? You gotta be kidding me!" Sgt. Ty Lockwood said to his C.O. as the two waited for a change in orders from command. The men sat under the hot Afghani sun having lunch.

"Oh, you bet!" Lt. Chad Morris told the sergeant who he had known since their last deployment to the Middle East. "Look, here's a picture my wife sent of one of the latest batch of kittens. The kids named this one Pumpkin," Morris showed the officer from St. Louis the adorable photo from his phone.

"Eh...cute, I guess," the 6'4", 210 lb. soldier said. "But if you want to see something really cute, check out Brutus." He retrieved his own phone and pulled up a picture of his Weimaraner/Lab mix.

"What's he dressed like, Sherlock Holmes?"

"No. This is from Mardi Gras last year. I'm originally from New Orleans. He had some bead necklaces on but he ate them before I could snap the picture." The men continued eating occasionally looking at the other men from Lockwood's company eating lunch as well.

"Why cats?" Lockwood asked after a moment of silence. "I mean, it's a cat! They poop in the house. The cough up hairballs, and I swear, behind those cat eyes, they're figuring out some way to kill you and pick your bones."

Morris laughed long and hard. "No way! It's a cat, not a piranha," Morris said. "Sure, they're temperamental and callous and don't give a crap about anything you do. And I know dogs love you unconditionally, but there's something that happens when a cat crawls up on your lap, paws around a few times, then lays down and starts to purr."

"You know, the cat's not doing that for your benefit--more for his," Lockwood said.

"Oh, I know. I know when a cat does that, I become a living pillow, but I don't care."

Lockwood started laughing as he finished up his meal.

"What's so funny?"

Lockwood pointed to his company of men spread out before them. "You'd better not let any of my men hear you say what you just told me."

"Oh," Morris said with a smile. "That's your job to keep it a secret."

"Is that a direct order?"

"You bet your butt, sergeant."

Word Count: 385

2 comments:

  1. Great story, I can imagine these burly, macho men, talking about their pets almost in secret.

    ReplyDelete