Friday, December 12, 2014

Eclairs And Mint And Peanut Cups...


I have a friend who decided that yesterday would be his last day working with us all.

The event called for eclairs. 

Why eclairs, I wonder? I mean, they're tasty and all, but why do we choose them for retirement parties? We could have doughnuts or cookies, but no--we seem to want eclairs.

I suppose the same reasoning is used for having mint and peanut cups for wedding receptions. At least, around here, that's what we do. A lot of wedding receptions give those attending little cups full of butter mints and shelled peanuts.

Not that eclairs and mint/peanut cups are bad. I like them as evidenced by my actions when I go to a retirement party and/or wedding reception (the two are hardly synonymous...), I almost always partake of either eclairs or mint/peanut cups. Sometimes, if I can get away with it, I might have two.

Of course, all the eclair and mint/peanut cup discussion is not really important. The most important thing that happened was a friend has taken a major step in his life to a future that's hopefully brighter and better. For the rest of us, staying behind the walls of employment, we remain tethered to our desks and computers and phones,  and we'll do so until that blessed day when it will be our name on the e-mail letting everyone know when our last day will be.

And on that day someone will order a whole mess of eclairs...

No comments:

Post a Comment