Friday, December 19, 2014

Karaoke Night...2014 Edition


kar·a·o·ke
ˌkerēˈōkē/
noun
  1. a form of entertainment, offered typically by bars and clubs, in which people take turns singing popular songs into a microphone over prerecorded backing tracks.

There's a tradition at the theater where I've done a few shows, the tradition of Karaoke Night. Basically, we stay after a show, put music on the killer sound system the theater has and let the magic happen.

And tonight's that night.



I've gone to a couple of these Karaoke Nights--I even sang at the last one. I don't know if Karaoke is as popular anymore. I'm sure it is some places, but since I don't spend a lot of time in the places where Karaoke is popular, I wouldn't know.

But, I've got to tell you, having a Karaoke Night together with a bunch of people who long musical theater is like none other. Let's just say they get a little creative.

One thing that amazes me is--on those rare events that I actually do sing--is how LONG the songs are. It's one thing to sing a song to the radio while you're driving, but it's another thing when you're on stage and you can't remember the song ever being that long.

In fact, I wonder if kar-a-o-ke is really Japanese for "Extremely Long Song."

No comments:

Post a Comment