Sunday, December 28, 2014

Happy Birthday John Sr.!


I met John Sr. almost twenty-three years ago--I don't recall exactly at which function, but I know it was soon after I met the woman I would eventually marry. John Sr. is my brother-in-law's father. John Jr. married my wife's sister. Today John Sr. turned 90. Last night our family was invited to celebrate John Sr.'s birthday and we did so at the Faustina Restaurant in downtown Salt Lake City.


It was a great evening.


John Sr.'s an inspiration for me. The man is in great shape and he even skied regularly until just a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, Alta was his resort of choice (I apologize if I'm wrong...). He chose engineering as a career and I believe he and my dad worked at the same place for a few years. I asked him once if he knew my dad, but that was in the late sixties. Relationships and memories can fade after several decades.


John has gone through some changes as of late. He lost his wife a few years ago and this last year he sold the house where he raised his family. Yet, last night the man sat in a room full of friends and family and thanked us all for coming to share his day.

John Sr.--it was an honor.

Happy birthday John! And here's to many many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment