Monday, September 5, 2016

Too Much Stuff...Digitally Speaking


Four pictures--four lousy pictures and they wouldn't fit on my hard drive. 

And I thought I had fixed the problem.

There's a lot I don't understand about computers. Yes, I have a Mac laptop, but I'm sure if I had a PC laptop, I'd be just as confused. Of course, the current problem with my lack of disk space I believe has to do with the number of pictures I take. For a non-professional photographer it could be considered excessive. And now that I bought a new camera that shoots video as well, it's only going to get worse. It's all my fault. I take too many pictures.

Then again, maybe that's not the problem.

I thought, when I bought my laptop back in 2009, that the 500 gig hard drive would be more than enough. And it was, until over time that hard drive begins to fill up. I've tried fixing the problem. I bought external back-up drives and fill them up. I even paid for iCloud service, which I thought would clear up the problem once and for all.

Nope.

I don't understand the whole iCloud concept if, when you have pictures and movies in the iCloud and you try to delete them off your computer, you get a message saying that deleting the pictures will delete them from the cloud. I thought if they were in the cloud, you wouldn't need them on your hard drive.

Now, those of you out there who understand how this works are probably thinking that the concept is so simple to understand, why can't I figure it out. That's a very good question. Who knows? Maybe I have 500 gig of stuff other than pictures. If that's the case, I've got WAY too much digital stuff. 

There was one final measure to take to fix the problem, and we did it. We bought a super-mega 2 terabyte hard drive to hold everything. I've backed up all my stuff again, so when I delete stuff now, I don't feel so bad. One day, maybe I might figure out how all this stuff works. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment