Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Ever Had A Danish Kringle...?


I have great in-laws. I'm kind of lucky, in that regard. And to prove my point, I present the gift our family was given for Christmas this year by my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Pam and John. The gift came all the way from Wisconsin.

And it was a Danish Kringle.


I've never been to Wisconsin. I'm sure it's beautiful. I'm sure it's also cold in the winter. It would most likely remind me of another place that's beautiful and cold in the winter, Denmark, home of Danish pastry. It's been a while since I've walked upon the rolling hills of my fatherland, almost twenty-five years...much too long. I told my wife that when I get my book published, we'd go over--even more incentive to get that thing in print.

The best compliment you can give any baker in America making Danish pastry is that their pastry is close. OH Danish Bakery is close. Don't get me wrong, it's delicious, but there's something about eating desserts in the country named after those desserts. Maybe it's the Danish air that brings in daily storms that blow across the countryside. Maybe the natural cheerfulness of the people is somehow infused within their confections. Maybe it's a secret that only they know and the rest of the world will only hopefully one day understand. All I know, is I don't believe I've ever tasted anything as good.


I spent two years in Denmark and I ate a lot of pastry. Back then I had to work my butt off to keep any weight on. Funny how life likes to change its mind. Now if I lived there and ate as I once did, I wouldn't last two months. Good thing I'm in America.

Thank you Pam and John for all the deliciousness, and for everything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment