Saturday, October 20, 2018

I Guess I Didn't Jinx BYU's Football Team After All...


Back on September 28 of this year, I posted a blog about BYU's football team. You can check out the post by clicking: HERE. I wrote the post because at that point in the season the team (and, by extension, their fans...) were flying high. They had beaten a Pac-12 team, almost beat another, and took down the then Number 6 team in the nation, Wisconsin at their house. 

The point of the post was to highlight a renewed feeling about the team. After the year before, they and their fans needed some good news and they got it.

Of course, the day after I wrote that post, BYU traveled to the Great Pacific Northwest to face one of the best teams in the nation, Number 11 University of Washington Huskies. No one gave BYU a chance when they faced a higher-ranked opponent in Wisconsin. Many believe the boys in blue could pull off another miracle.

Well, things didn't quite work out that way. The Huskies mauled the Cougars 35 - 7.

The next week BYU played their brothers to the north, Utah State University. This game was in Provo, but the score didn't favor the hometown team. BYU lost 45 - 20.

I thought maybe I had jinxed the team.

Okay, I really didn't believe that. I'm not that superstitious. I think we believe in superstitions because it gives us a sense that we have some control over our lives. Wearing the same clothes on game day can't guarantee a win, nor do the other countless things we do in hopes of a good outcome. So, my rational mind knows just because I wrote that post had absolutely nothing to do with the team losing two straight games.

The next week BYU played the University of Hawaii. They started their freshman quarterback phenom and beat the Rainbows 49 - 23. If they had lost, my unfounded belief that my post had something to do with their latest loss might have been strengthened. 

The future looks bright for the team. They did not play this week. They've got five games left and two of those games are against teams that have had their number as of late. So, playing the odds, they could finish 7 - 5, much better than last year. And many believe they could win out and finish with a record of 9 - 3.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with my blog post,..

Or does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment