Wednesday, October 10, 2018

CW's "The Outpost"...Bring On Season 2!


I live in Utah, a place where they used to film a lot of movies, TV series, even commercials. I suppose they still do, but back in the 1990s, it seemed everything was filmed here. Now, not so much. Canada is where they film a lot of things now. It seems Canada's the new Utah.

I'm in no way an expert on filming locations, so if I'm wrong, I apologize. I have, however, taken notice when a series comes to town and when it does well. It's taken me a while, but I finally began watching the CW network's show, The Outpost

I'm about 1/2 through the first season, and I like it. Apparently, so do a lot of people, so much so, the network's bringing it back for Season 2.

The show centers around Talon, the last of her race known as Blackbloods. The Blackbloods were murdered when Talon was a little girl. She was saved by a demon, a demon that only Blackbloods can control. Now, as an adult, Talon is on a mission to avenge the death of her family, as well as finding out what exactly she is and what powers she has. Talon finds her way to the outpost where she meets soldiers, a queen, and other colorful characters in the remote gated village.

If you're not a fan of fantasy, the show might not be for you. If you do like the genre and you haven't given the show a chance, check it out. Of course, the show doesn't have a Peter Jackson-esk budget, but they do a fantastic job with what they have. And, interesting storytelling can make up for a somewhat reduced budget.

There's another reason why I like the show. As TV series go these days, it's safe. Okay, maybe not the "safest" show out there, but it isn't a series on HBO, Showtime, Starz, and the other pay channels on cable. Guaranteed, those shows are going to earn their TV-MA rating. The Outpost is a little violent, but that's about it.

I'm glad I began watching. I'm glad the show's succeeding. I'm glad it's been picked up for another season. I'm glad it's filmed in Utah. I'm glad for those involved in the project. Now, if we can only get more shows to come back to Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment