Sunday, October 7, 2018

Look Who's Played At Lagoon!...Here's A List


Near to where I clock in and clock out at my part-time gig is a wall of old photographs. When your amusement park has been around for more than 130 years, you can amass a lot of history. I enjoy looking at old photographs, seeing how things have changed over time.

There's one poster that is especially interesting. It's the largest thing on the wall and it contains the names of dozens of famous people who have played at Lagoon over the years. I took out my phone and snapped a quick picture thinking I might use the shot as my "Pic Of The Day." I ended up using a different picture, but when I pulled this one up and began reading the names of the people who have played over the years, it's very, very impressive.

I've seen the poster before and even glanced at the names, but tonight I read through each name, considered all those amazingly talented musicians (even Evil Kneivel...) that have performed at Lagoon. Most came in the 1950s and 1960s, but a few made their appearance later. It's been a long time since the park has hosted big acts. Still, the fact that the big names no longer play shouldn't tarnish the legacy from the past.

Some of the names that jumped out to me were Ray Charles, Duke Ellington, and Ella Fitzgerald, the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, the Beach Boys, The Mamas and the Papas and many many more. Some of these great musicians are still playing, but many are no longer with us. They've gone to play the big gig in the sky.

Nowadays, the park is mostly known for its rides. Decades earlier it was rides and entertainment. And before that, the park was known for its trees and picnic spots. I wonder what the park will be known for in the decades to come and will they have a big poster letting everyone know about what we're doing today. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment