Friday, October 12, 2018

I'm In More Shows Than I see...


There's a joke I tell my my theater friends when they ask if I'm going to see them in their latest show. I tell them I probably won't see their show, not that I don't want to, but knowing me as I do, I won't. Then I say... 

"I'm in more shows than I see."

And that's pretty much the truth.

Over the past couple of years, I've been in several productions--not as many as some, but more than others. This year I finished up Pirates of Penzance in September, then my gig with Lagoon's Frightmares began the next week. I'm averaging two or three shows a year. 

But when it comes to watching other shows, I just don't make it. There's many reasons why I don't go see shows. I can say it's too expensive to see the shows. And that's true. Except for the next year, I've got season tickets to all shows at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre. They give performers tickets for the next year. I've had season tickets for the past six years at that theatre. I've been able to see every show in those six years. I may have seen three or four.

The show that followed Pirates is Ragtime. I've heard wonderful things about the show and I have many friends in it. One friend posted a personal invitation for us to see it, so much so, he will not argue with anyone who disagrees. ;) The chance for me to use my season tickets and see Ragtime ends tomorrow and once again, I'll be missing it. Tomorrow I have to work, but even if I didn't, I probably wouldn't be going.

I love doing shows, and when I go, I love watching them as well. Maybe it's because we don't do other things, either, like going to movies, going out for special events, you know, stuff other people do, that keeps us from going out.

I've got tickets to see the next year of shows at a theater I love. And like we've done for the past half decade, we'll maybe use them once. So, I guess I'll be responding the same way if/when I'm asked again about attending a show. I'm in more shows than I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment