Monday, October 8, 2018

What We Really Need...Is To Laugh More


I used to watch them. Not every night and not every show, but I considered myself a fan. 

That was a long time ago.

I stopped watching for several reasons. The biggest reason, I suppose, is I don't stay up as late as I used to. I clock in at work before 7am so if I want to get any sleep, I've got to get to bed before most of the late night talk shows are on. 

Plus, there's a lot more late night talk shows than there used to be. Back in the day, there was really just one, one big, huge, gigantic talk show called The Tonight Show and Johnny Carson was king. The reason he was king is the same reason why--in my humble, non-educated non-researched opinion--I'm not watching the shows now.

They're no longer pushing comedy--they're pushing politics.

There's enough political shows.

What we really need is to just laugh.

If you watch the shows, you may be saying that they generate plenty of laughs. But there's a difference between the comedy the country needs and what they're delivering. We need laughs that make you feel better, that lighten your soul, that make you smile because what you heard was truly funny. I'm afraid that the "comedy" were getting doesn't do that. It makes us mad, makes us hate, makes us look at others and wonder why they can't believe the same things we do. It's not cleansing, it's not uplifting, it's actually doing the opposite.

I have purposely tried to stay away from deep opinionated blog posts, mainly because I know that I don't know everything. I do know, however, that those who run those late night shows can say whatever they want. That's the way it is in America, at least for now. They most likely want to express their political views to as many people as possible, hoping it will help. 

I just think there's enough political shows where "experts" can express their opinions. I'd love to watch a show as the day ends where we come together to laugh, to forget about all the other crap we dealt with during the day and that we'll have to deal with the next day and just laugh. Laugh without hate, laugh without belittling, laugh without demeaning, laugh because it's fun and good for the soul. I wonder if that will ever happen again.

Where have you gone Johnny Carson? A nation turns it's lonely eyes to someone like you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment