Friday, October 5, 2018

Hiking With The Puppy...


There's a trail behind our house that take hikers up the mountain. From the trail they can access a road, or continue to Patsy's Mind and Flag Rock. In the summer, the trail is used daily. Many times I've watched as groups or single individuals head up the switchbacks to higher elevations and amazing experiences.


I used to hike that mountain if not daily at least weekly as a kid. As an adult...not so much.

I've noticed something as I watch people begin and end their hikes. Many times, they have a dog with them. The other day, I decided to do the same. I wasn't sure how our puppy would handle being on a relatively narrow trail. Turns out, he did well.


We didn't go very high up the hill, just a few switchbacks. We cleared what my friends used to call The Sandpit. It's still full of sand, mostly, but with new vegetation, it's not as defined as it once was. The trail is not steep, but it's narrow. The puppy was a little tentative, but he was able to make his way up until we cleared The Sandpit. That's when I began taking pictures. The clouds made it a beautiful hike.


The weather is turning. There will be fewer and fewer hikers (and dogs...) in the coming days and weeks. I don't know if I'll get up the hill again with the puppy--it might be next spring until we take to the hill. Of course, by then, he won't be a puppy anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment