Sunday, October 21, 2018

The Things You Do...When You Lose Your Voice


Last week, at my part-time gig, I had to work outside. It got cold last week, and because of that, a series of events occurred that resulted in my losing my voice. Well, I didn't lose it completely, but I had no way to project my voice.

For me, it's something that happens all the time.

I remember back in college, I would lose my voice at least a couple of times every year, usually around Christmas. This was a problem because I sang in a choir and Christmas was a very busy time for us, a time when I needed to sing.

Losing my voice is a problem for me. I need my voice to do my part-time gig. I need to speak to the public who are about to enter our show. I need to give the audience instructions and usher them out when the show is finished. I thought of ways I could use technology to help.


Like I said earlier, I can speak, but quietly. I have nothing to push the sound. So, I thought I could get a Bluetooth speaker and project my voice that way. I gaff taped a shower Bluetooth speaker I had to the back of a mask I use for the show. I downloaded an app that allows me to use my phone as the microphone.

It all looked good on paper. Turns out in reality the iPhone mic created a ton of feedback. It was cool, though because the feedback made it sound like eerie spooky sounds were coming from my mask. I remembered that I had ordered a microphone years ago to help with my podcast. I plugged in the mic and pulled up the app. That helped, but it wasn't great. Finally my son loaned me his Bluetooth speaker, a superior product. 


That did it. I had something I could use to speak to the crowds. Turns out, I didn't need to do it. Yes, it hurt, but I pushed through the shows by having the audio turned down and by being quiet. I wasn't as effective a speaker as I had been the previous weeks, but we got through it. 

The good news is, this condition usually only lasts a few days. I won't be returning to the part-time gig for five days. By then, I won't need Bluetooth speakers, additional microphones, or gaff tape. I will have the mask, though. Basically, because it's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment