Thursday, October 18, 2018

Looks Like Expiration Dates DO Matter...


I think I'm cursed. Okay, maybe not "cursed." Let me explain. Over the past eight or nine months every time I've found a really good breakfast cereal, that brand of cereal seems to disappear. It happened to my strawberry--chocolate--granola cereal and it happened to a marshmallow cereal I used to get all the time.

I've moved on, as one tends to do when the store discontinues a brand you liked. I've made other breakfast decisions, gotten to like other things.

But this morning, I walked into a basement storage room in our house and I saw it--boxes of a cereal I once enjoyed. I told my wife it was down there.

"Did you check the expiration date?" she asked.

I had not.


But I've had expired food before and it wasn't that bad. I'm not the pickiest eater so I thought it wouldn't be that bad.

Turns out, it kind of was.

I guess, if we were battling a zombie apocalypse, I could have finished the bowl of three-plus year old cereal and it probably wouldn't have killed me. But, there's not a zombie apocalypse (at least, not one that I know of...) so I dumped the bowl and ate cereal from a box with an expiration date in the future, not years old. 

There's another box down there in the basement. I didn't throw it out, but I will. Too bad I didn't know about earlier...like back in 2015.

2 comments: