Saturday, October 13, 2018

Lines...


I don't think there are many who like waiting in lines. Unfortunately, it's one of the realities of modern life, especially as more and more and more people call this world their home. Modern technology can help with some of the lines we've stood in for years. For example, you can go to Stamps.com. I don't use the service myself, but from their ads, they guarantee eliminating waiting in lines at the post office forever.

There are lines that can't be replaced by technology. Case in point, the lines you run into at an amusement park on one of the busiest days of the year. 

There's no getting out of those lines. 

This afternoon I went to the park. We can tell by the number of cars in the parking lot how busy it's going to be. As we drove in, we knew it would be crowded, very crowded. The show I do holds forty people in the theater--that's it, only forty. We were scheduled to do seven shows today. We ended up doing nine. That's 360 people out of tens of thousands who can get in. Ever since we opened our show last year, I don't believe I've ever seen a line as long as the one we had for people waiting to buy tickets to see our show today.

Later in the day, I spotted another line. This one was for one of the many haunted houses on the park. I asked the worker holding the sign how long the line was to get in the haunted house. They said, from that point, it would be one and a half to two hours of wait time.

Personally, that's a long time to be in a line, but the people didn't seem to mind. They kept lining up and the sign holder had to keep walking back as more people joined the line.

I knew those who saw our show tonight had to wait a long time to get tickets. I speak to many of those waiting before the shows begin. Several have told me they tried seeing the show last year, but were unable to see it because everything was sold out. I guess, technically, they've been waiting in a "line" for almost a year.

I'm glad they decided the wait was worth it. I hope we made it worth their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment