Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Getting To Know You...Getting To Know Me


This morning, I left my work desk, climbed in the van, and drove north. It was time for a team office party. And that's where we played "getting to know you" games.

What is it about office parties? The games seem to be part of the plan. In defense of the organizers, the people at this particular party do not work together often, if at all. We all have very specialized job duties and for that reason, we're all under the same manager. Today we got to meet each other, and by the time the party ended, we all knew each other better.

I don't know who came up with the party games, but they were fun. We played "rock/paper/scissors." We acted/sounded like barnyard animals. We spelled out four-letter words (the safe kind...). We sat across from each other and asked questions printed on a card. I think the card game allowed us to find out more about each other than any of the games. Who knew Forrest Gump was a person someone wanted to be in a movie?

The rain came, the temperature dropped, the food was eaten, we got in our cars (and vans...) and drove home. Normally, after an office party, I'll see the people in the office and ask how they're doing, maybe catch up on something they told me when we first met. Now that I telecommute, I have no idea when I'll see them again in person. It might be soon--it might be years. But, on a somewhat cool day in September in a park in Ogden Utah, I got to know them a little bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment