Wednesday, September 25, 2019

There's Some Building Going On...




The foundation's poured; the framing began today. It's good to see another building going up. There's less and less of it nowadays. Of course, where we live, there's less buildable land available. It's all being gobbled up.

Tonight, as I was grilling dinner for possibly the last time this year, I looked around at the neighborhood. From the end of our street, I could see twelve houses.

And I've seen every single one of them be built.


The oldest home I could see was my childhood home. It's the home getting an upgrade, hence the foundation and framing. The first home on the street was temporary. My parents bought a mobile home and parked it in front of our house as they built the home, something I'm sure is not possible today. Once we could live in our house, we moved the mobile home to a mobile home park.

The house across the street came next, then the three at the far end of the cul-de-sac went in. Then came the red brick home next to ours. From there, it took decades for the other homes to pop up. The house north of us was built. Then our house, my sister's house, the house built on my brother's lot (that he sold...), then a house north and east of us, and finally, the last open lot on the street got its house.

Twelve homes, built between 1970 and 2014. 

 I don't feel particularly old, even though I am, relatively speaking. To those older than me, I'm still a pup. To kids and teenagers, I'm ancient. I've seen changes in my home town and even on the street in which I live. Unlike some, I'm glad to see another structure go up, even though it's an addition. It means people are living their lives. It means dreams are being fulfilled. Yes, we were the first, but will not be the last. I'm glad there's some building going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment