Friday, September 20, 2019

When You're Asked To Speak In Front Of A Hundred People...


A few weeks ago, I got an e-mail from my direct supervisor. The e-mail contained a request and the request was simple--represent the department, and more specifically, our team, at a training conference. Since my supervisor was already committed elsewhere, he asked me.

I said I would, but I asked him if there was anyone else who could do it. I didn't feel qualified, especially when there are other workers on my team with more experience. He checked; there wasn't. I agreed. Yesterday, the time arrived, and so did I. Earlier in the week I prepared some information for the meeting--things that I thought it would be good to go over for their training. I even checked with my supervisor to get an idea from him what things I should discuss.

I was prepared. And, after working for the same employer for more than two decades, I had attended similar meetings in the past. So I thought I knew how many people would be in attendance. When I entered, it was more than I thought it would be. I had a few minutes to go over my notes as the previously scheduled speaker finished up. It was almost a surreal experience. I was to speak in front of a hundred or so professionals, many with years more time working their jobs than I have mine. The information I had to offer then was thin, at best. 

Was I worried?

The strange thing was, I was not...not at all.

I began with a joke and tried to keep things light. I wanted to act as a conduit between their agencies and mine. I had thirty minutes on the schedule--I took thirty-five. 

When my time was up, I thanked them and everyone went on break. A few came up to me for a question or two, and one said I was very brave to ask a room full of people how our department could help them do their jobs better, when some of those people had very real gripes concerning how our department operates. 

There's always so much to learn when you are involved in trainings.

I'm not sure if I things had been different, had I known how many people would be in the room. Would I have been worried? Would I have refused? Hopefully, not. I'm glad it turned out okay. At least, I think it did. But, if I'm asked again, something unforeseen might come up that prevents me from doing it. Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment