Thursday, September 12, 2019

When Lightning...Or Something Else...Fries Your Cables


I wonder if my kids are ever curious about what it was like to grow up in the 1980s. They've never asked me about it. But if they ever ask me, "Hey dad--what was it like to grow up in the 1980s?" All I have to do is disconnect the cable and internet and they'll know.

That's what happened at our house yesterday.

Twenty-four hours, modern technology-free.

It was eye-opening.

Tuesday, during a thunderstorm, our cable went out, and when I say "out" I mean, we had nothing--no phone, no cable, no internet. We think it was lightning, but we're not sure. Usually, it's not a big deal, except I now work at home and require internet access to work. Nope. No dice. We called the cable company and there were no outages in our area. Normally, I don't want bad things (no cable...) to happen to others, but if it had been an area outage, a technician would have been dispatched immediately. Since it was just us, they couldn't send anyone out until twenty-four hours later.

 Bummer.

But, we endured. We persevered. We survived. I used my phone as a wifi hotspot to post my "Pic Of The Day" and my blog post. Thank goodness. Had that not worked, I would have had to go to the library or found another public wifi to do those things.

The tech came yesterday and diagnosed the problem. The cable--at the connection at the street and at the house--was fried. You could still smell the burned rubber a day later. They ran a temporary line and we had services again. Instantly, we were transported into the twenty-first century.

I'd like to think I'm not a slave to technology, that I could go a day without picking up my phone. Turns out, I can't, or if I did, it would be a miserable experience. So, whenever someone from my generation criticizes the younger generation for always being dependent on their devices, I think it's a universal problem. At least, for one day this week, it was for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment