Sunday, September 8, 2019

And Hour Of Peace...It Was Lovely


It's been a hectic weekend and a hectic summer. My daughter and I finished a run of Peter Pan in Ogden last August. After it ended, she was working a summer job and I was preparing for FanX, the comic convention that just ended. I feel like I've been running and running with little time to my own. And next week, I begin my autumn job--working at Lagoon's Frightmares.

It seems like I'm on a train that seldom stops.

Last Wednesday I took off work to help prepare for the upcoming convention. I'm glad I did--it was nice to have some time to prepare. I checked the train schedule, got a ride to the station, sat and waited for the train. I used to take the train several ties a week. Now, hardly ever.

I boarded and sat down, then the train pulled away. I had my backpack and my scooter. In twenty minutes the train would arrive, then I'd depart and make my way to another train, then the Salt Palace. It took about one hour from when I first sat and waited to when I walked in the convention center doors. And in that hour I didn't do the things I used to do, the things I always feel obligated to do, namely, get on-line, write something, check e-mails, listen to podcasts...you name it.

No...I didn't do that. I just sat and listened to the noise of the train, felt the car sway side to side, and thought about...well, not much, actually. It was nice.

The next three days were filled with making sure performances went well, panels were covered, and guests left entertained. I walked around a space with a hundred-thousand others and I did it for three days. It was amazing--it was exhausting. But, in the last week, there as one hour--as single hour when I didn't worry about all the stuff I usually worry about. I hope to do that again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment