Sunday, May 31, 2020

It's Going To...Bee Great!


We saw it at Costco, and thought, "What the heck?"

So, we bought it and yesterday I put a nail in tree and hung it up. Now, let the nature begin!

This small building is to be a home for both bees and butterflies. The bees nest in the bottom part and the butterflies are supposed to hang out in the top part. I sure hope it works.


Apparently, according the the packaging (and comments from friends...), the bees that use this little thing are not honey bees, but another species. They build mud homes and lay their eggs. Then, you're supposed to take the bee home and put it in an outdoor shed. Next spring you bring out the bee home and hang it up again. Then, new bees with hatch and help out everyone.


I didn't know this, but we might have been raising these type of bees for years--in our shed, no less. Every time I need to dig something out of the shed that we haven't touched for years, there seems to be a mud nest on it. I always thought they were mud wasps, and I'm not particularly fond of wasps. But, if they were really bees, I'll have to look at these nests in a new light.

Like I said, I hope this works. I love the thought of having a home for pollenating insects that will be helpful for them and for us.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment