Saturday, May 2, 2020

Revisiting An Old Rivalry Game...Y Vs U--2012 Edition


There's no sports on TV, and who knows when it will return? And, NO, I don't count Dodge Juggle 3 as a sport. I used to check the Sports listings first when I fired up the old TV--it was habit. Not anymore. I mean, why bother?

I did, however, check the sports listings the other day and I came upon a game from 2012. BYU traveled north to take on their rivals, the Utes of Utah. Now, any time these teams get together, you're in for a battle. This game did not disappoint, unless you root for the team that lost.

Watching it again--the first time since 2012--there was a lot I had forgotten about the game. I forgot BYU was ranked #25 in the nation when they played. I also forgot how good that BYU team was. That was a talented team and they had some beasts playing for them. Their quarterback, Riley Nelson, and junior JD Falslev were men on the field--they never quit. And linebacker Kyle Van Noy was one of the best players to play in the state.

BYU was good, worthy of their ranking, and if they were a Big 10, or SEC team, they'd definitely have been ranked higher.


When I watched the game originally, I was too nervous to watch the individual plays, the small victories and defeats from each team as the game progressed. Watching it again, I could see how great a game it was. There was one pivotal moment that turned the game, and had BYU not botched a snap that led to a Utah turnover and touchdown, I see BYU winning that game. But that's how football works, the strange-shaped ball guarantees that there's no guarantees.


But, no matter how great the game was, it will always be remembered for the way it ended. An incredible Nelson throw with only seconds to go put the Cougars within scoring position. The Cougars could either win it with a touchdown or tie with a field goal. 


Last play--the Cougars failed to score. Time runs out and Utah fans rush the field. There's one problem for all those red-clad Utah fans--one second left on the clock. BYU attempts a field goal. A block sends the Utah fans back on the field. A penalty sends them off the field and gives BYU one more chance, one more shot.


Then, the cruelest of things happens. The last snap, the last play...the ball sailed through the sky toward the goalposts. There's even a BYU player celebrating a game-tying field goal. Then...clunk--the football hits the right post and goes wide. Utah wins 24 - 21.


Watching the end of the game I see athletes putting it all on the line, giving everything they had. One team won, the other lost. It's the contract you sign when you participate in sports, either as a fan or a player or a coach. I found a new respect for that BYU team and their coaches. Just a tough way for it to end.


No comments:

Post a Comment