Thursday, May 7, 2020

A Blast From The Past...SLC Winter Olympics Edition


So, what things have you been doing in the past couple of months? Even those of us fortunate enough to be working have looked at life differently, and even do more things around the house. One thing we've done was do a little spring cleaning. You know, some interesting treasures can be found when you do a little spring cleaning.

I came across a small pamphlet that's been buried for almost two decades. Back in 2002, Utah hosted the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. I was one of thousands of people who volunteered to be part of the history-making event.

What was my job, you ask?

Even if you don't ask, I'm going to tell you. I was part of a very select group of volunteers. Most volunteers can be identified by the color of their Marker winter coats they wore. I knew what the colors meant at one time, but it's been so long, I can't remember them I do remember  a red coat meant that volunteer was involved in the medical field. There were blue coats and green coats and other colors. The color of my coat was...

Brown.


I doubt 99% of the other volunteers have any idea what a brown-coated volunteer did. Basically, we were part of the transportation corp. My duties involved driving cops from the Grand America Hotel in downtown Salt Lake City to the main Olympic center located even more downtown. I never met any cool athletes or press from around the world. I met cops and other security personnel that flew in from other cities.


I know why the Accreditation pamphlet looked so new. It's because I never needed to even open it up. The information is to let volunteers know about how important their accreditation is and what to do if it gets lost, as well as addressing other important questions volunteers may have. 

For me, I had my pass. It got me into the hotel parking lot where the 15-passenger vans were parked and from there, I drive cops downtown, then picked up others when their shifts were done.

Looking at the pamphlet brought back some fun memories. No, mine wasn't the volunteer experience most had, but I'm glad I was able to do my part and help out.

And I have a unique-colored coat to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment