Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sports Are Back, Baby! And I Even LIKE Soccer...


I heard the news a few days ago--soccer would resume...

In Germany.

In Des Bundesliga.

Now, I am a soccer fan. At this time of year, I'll watch MLS games, especially when the local team plays. And early Saturday and Sunday mornings, there's always British Premier League games. There's also German Bundesliga games on and I usually don't watch those. I haven't followed the teams or the players in that league the way I have in America and Great Britain. But now, because pretty much everyone else is shut down, I'll watch German soccer.


Of course, there were no fans. After the soccer, I caught part of a NASCAR race in North Carolina--again, no fans. I thought, since I wasn't at either event, the experience should be the same for me. But, I was wrong. Yes, the games were played, the race was run, but it wasn't the same. The games need fans. 

Still, any game is a start. I know millions--if not, billions--of people are scared of the prospect of opening things up too soon. The race in North Carolina will most likely not impact me whatsoever. It may impact others, however. I believe those involved in these events know what they're doing and they're taking every precaution they can take to make it as safe as possible, just like workers in grocery stores and hospitals.

I'm one fan, just a single viewer living in Utah. Watching a game on TV played half a world away made the world a little more normal. And, that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment