Friday, May 29, 2020

A Sunset For Kim...


The text message she sent was simple...Just seeing how we're doing.

The few words conveyed more than asking for an update--I could tell the person sending the text was hurting...

And, without even asking, I knew why.

She's been watching the news.

Me, in my little house snuggled in the Rocky Mountains, am about as far removed from events hundreds and thousands of miles away as possible, but feelings of pain, of empathy, of fear, of hate, of rage, of sorrow can cross those distances in the blink of an eye. 

We chatted electronically. I tried to lighten the mood, just like I've tried to do with others. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I told her I haven't been watching the news--I told her it's good to be informed, but it can be too much.


As happens often at my little house snuggled in the Rocky Mountains, the setting sun floods the western sky with beauty, unparalleled by anything man could ever create. Tonight, though my vantage point from inside our kitchen was not the best, I snapped a quick picture and sent the digital photograph to her, a state away.

For many, the world burns tonight--both figuratively and literally. As with any figurative or literal fire, it may die down, or may explode in intensity. No one knows which way it will go. But I do know that tonight's sunset was beautiful and calming and peaceful and real. It was created by the hand of God for those who would only look and feel His hand in all things.

Yes, she is hurting and the pain is real. The images she's witnessed that have followed only add to her pain. But, for every evil deed done, there are many many more good ones done to counteract. If it weren't so, humanity would cease to exist. I know it wasn't much, but I hope the simple picture of tonight's sunset helped. Because, if we would only look, we will see His hand in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment