Friday, May 8, 2020

Two Families...Two Tragedies...Two Examples


News hit of the first tragedy early in the week. A young child fell into a pool. News of the second tragedy came a few days later...another family, another lost child.

While millions mourn the loss of loved ones in the public square, the screams of agony are heard in private for two families. There's no news coverage, no press releases, nothing but the unending pain of loss. Though the ages of those who have passed differ by more than a decade, a young child or a teenager passing does not matter to the parents and siblings of the children now gone.

For the child who drowned, I know the father through the writing community (and LDS mission community). We've only met a few times. He posted the tragic news to his friends and family on Facebook. He also posted his daughter's condition. She was rushed to the hospital where scores of people worked to save a precious life. I followed the father's humble and heartbreaking posts of the progress and setbacks as their child fought for life. They asked for prayers and for others to participate with them in a special fast in an attempt to save their angel.

When everything that could be done was done and produced no positive results, the decision was made to say good-bye. I don't know the father very well, but reading his words, the strength he showed, the comfort he gave the rest of us--those who could not possibly be hurting as much as he and his family--came through in his beautiful words, words of healing through pain, strength through helplessness, and faith through despair. In one of his most recent posts, he included the picture of Jesus holding a child, a child the father admitted had a resemblance to the child he lost. Through him, the father has taught me lessons in how to be a better father and how to appreciate my own children. Simply put, the man's a rock star.

News of the second tragedy came via an e-mail, no long posts, no prayers of hope, only the simple words...their son had died, an accident took away their youngest. This family I've known most of my life, growing up with the parents, though I didn't know the child who passed. From hundreds of miles away I felt the unbearable suffering of my dear dear friends. And from that loss, I am once again reminded how blessed I am, and that my greatest joys can be taken at any moment.

Two families, two children lost to accidents. Two families that must endure a parent's worst fear...the loss of a child. The saying, "A parent should never outlive their child," is a saying for a reason. In the coming days services will be held, and because of current conditions they're suffering has been in solitude and they'll say their final words the same way. 

I pray this will never happen to anyone ever again, but I know that prayer cannot possibly be answered. I can only hope to show the courage, humility, strength of my friends. I hope from their loss we may be better people, that the passing of their loved ones will allow those of us on the other side to improve, to be better, so that we may one day be with them again.

Thank you, my friends, for allowing me to share your grief. May God bless you now and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment