Friday, March 5, 2021

A New Ski Resort...In Utah


 My son returned from a youth activity earlier in the week. They traveled to a ski resort in the area to do some tubing.

Ah...to ski is to live.

Too bad it costs so much to live.

I was one of the fortunate generation that could afford to ski in my youth. I mostly skied Snow Basin...a place that's grown immensely since the late 1970s when an all-day, all area pass cost around $8.50. Snow Basin is a first-class resort now. In fact, almost all the resorts in Utah are first-class. Back in the day the most expensive part of skiing was the equipment. Now, you can find used skis relatively cheap--the cost of a ticket is what costs now.

In Northern Utah, there's always been one ski resort, Beaver Mountain. It's located east of Logan. I've never been--lots of Utah State University students go there. What I didn't know until recently is there's a new kid in town, Cherry Peak. I've not been to this one, either. It's north and east of Logan, close enough for a group of teenagers to go for an activity. I checked them out on-line. Their prices seem reasonable. I don't believe it's a large resort, mostly because it's so new.

I don't need a big place to ski--sure, it'd be nice, but since I've only gone three times in the past 25 years, I think I can get enjoyment out of a small hill. Also, not sure how the ol' body will adapt to strapping on heavy ski boots and controlling two long skis so I don't do major damage to myself.

It's good to see a new resort begin operations. I can't imagine how much money it would take to open one of those things. I'd love to see more of them, but maybe we'll just have to do with what we have. One day, perhaps next season, I'll get up to Cherry Peak. Because, to ski is to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment