Monday, March 29, 2021

Things Aren't Always As They Seem...


 Growing up, it was the biggest ride in the park...people would stand in line just to ride the old roller coaster. You could see it from the freeway as you flew by at 70 m.p.h., then 55 m.p.h. in the 1970s, then at whatever speed was allowed by the highway patrol.

I saw the ride everyday I worked at the park as a teenager, and in my twenties, thirties, forties, and fifties. It's an icon, a symbol of one family's dedication to having fun. When you see something everyday, you see what shape it's in. It's been years since I actually rode the ride, but I still notice, and from my vantage point, it looked like the old ride was in disrepair, as if the whole thing was one strong wind away from falling down and becoming a pile of toothpicks.

I was wrong.

Last week I had a meeting at the Biergarten. I parked right next to the roller coaster and the first thing I saw was not dilapidated old wood, but new boards holding it all together. That I didn't expect. From a distance, the roller coaster looks neglected, even though I know that's not true. I personally know many of the men and women who work on those rides and I know they would not allow an unsafe--or neglected--ride to operate in the park. Still, it just looked that way.

I realized something else as well. The reason I thought the ride wasn't up to snuff was because it wasn't white. For as long as I can remember, the coaster was painted white. Whenever they replaced boards on the ride, they were painted. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to paint that thing, and maybe I'm the only one who feels like the ride looks run down and painting it because of my opinion is a lot of money just to satisfy me.

When I took a closer look at the coster last week I realized most of the wood was new, or newer. It could be in the best shape it's been in in a long time. So, next time I drive by the park, I'll know different. I'll know the ride is in good shape. Things aren't always as they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment