Friday, March 19, 2021

Met The New Neighbors...


 In our backyard...well, in our backyard and across the foot path, a foundation for a new house has been constructed. Just south of the new foundation is a home less than a year old--to the north, a house being built, a few months ahead of the foundation.

Today, we met the owners of the foundation--soon to be house.

And we're no longer the "newbies."

We moved from a street where I lived off-and-on for fifty years. I saw homes go up where only fields and weeds existed before. I saw people build houses, move away, have others move into that house, move away, and so on. Basically, I knew the history of my little town for half a century. Almost all my neighbors, save a handful, were "new" to the area--even those who had been there for decades.

It's a strange feeling being the new and not the other way around.

It's even stranger because we haven't been able to meet many of our neighbors, covid and all. The subdivision next to ours is twenty years old. I'm sure many of them have been there the whole time. I suppose they would be those who've seen growth over the years. I could ask them about a town event from the past two decades and they'd probably remember it. They are what I was. I'd love to get to know them better.

The owners of the foundation and I had a good chat. They're relocating from down south--not as south as us, but south. They're also moving close to a parent, just like us. It's good to be able to help your elders. They're slated to move in the fall, but hopefully their foundation + house will be completed before that. Once they're in, we'll have a fence between us, so I don't know how much contact we'll have when it's all said and done. Fences make good neighbors...just not connected ones.

I hope the new neighbors find what they're looking for in their new house on the hill. I know we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment