Friday, March 12, 2021

New Is Great...But Antique Is Classic


 My wife and I just exited one of the local hardware stores in our little town...that's when I saw it. Parked across the lot was a classic truck, extended, old.

When I first saw it, I didn't even know who made it.

Years ago, I used to know my VW beetles. I could identify the year just from the taillights. Of course, other things like the windows, the bumpers, the seats can also give away a bug's age. For me, I always tried to see the taillights. 

But the truck...the first thing I noticed was the extended cab. I figured the truck was from the 1960s, or early 1970s. I didn't know they made extended cabs that early. Then again, why not? I'm sure they made lots of models and variations I've never seen. And, it's possible someone extended the truck themselves. I doubt it, though. It looked pretty clean.

Maybe because I'm getting so old, I appreciate things that are as old as me. My first car was produced the same year as I was, and there are fewer and fewer old cars on the road (in the case of my bug, that's probably for the best--it was not the safest care to begin with...). 

I stopped and just looked at the truck. I snapped a picture, but didn't want to linger or get too close so as not to draw attention to myself. Some owners can get protective of their vehicles, especially truck owners. Still, I wanted to get the picture, to remember it. Would I want to own a truck like that? Perhaps. Having owned old cars, you must be dedicated to preserving them...or you should be. There's a price to pay for taking on the responsibility of owning a classic car or truck. 

As it should be.

Of course, if someone came and offered me a 1965 VW beetle (preferably green...), there's no way I'd refuse. New is great, but antique is classic...and also beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment