Thursday, March 25, 2021

The World Has One Less Place For Birds To Next...


 A few weeks back we noticed on the corner of our house a switch box up in the eaves, an uncovered switch box. We noticed the wiring and we weren't completely sure what the box was for. It's perhaps for a flood light or a security light, or maybe an outlet box to put up Christmas lights.

Don't know for sure.

We wired our last house so we're not afraid to install a light or an outlet. Sure, it's up a ways, but no where near some of the eaves on our last house. I thought it was interesting that the box was uncovered, then I forgot about it.

Forgot about it until last Sunday when we heard the birds.

That corner of the house is near the master bedroom, so when we woke up the other day hearing birds on the roof, I remembered the uncovered box. We could see the birds from the window. I saw one starling on the roof, then I saw another starling fly away and as it flew away, bits of insulation came away with it.

The bird wasn't on the roof...it was inside the eave.


Sharing a house with birds is nothing new to our family. Our last house and a place where birds nested almost every year. The opening was so inaccessible, we could never stop them. One year we had kestrel falcons. They raised three chicks and we got the see them close up. That was cool! Most of the time, starlings nested in the roof.

There's no way we were going to have the same thing happen at the new house.

I looked around for something to plug up the hole. It was Sunday morning so I couldn't (or, didn't want to...) go to the store and get a proper cover. I found a light switch we had that we were not using, so I climbed up the ladder and stopped the hole. Now, if you are in our yard and look up, you'll see a light switch in the eave, a switch that controls nothing...

Nothing, but birds, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment