Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Dad Tests...Not Quite Fair


 Can't remember where I saw this one (that happens a lot when you see a lot of memes...), but I thought it was funny so I snapped a picture of it and sent it to a friend. I ended up sharing it with my wife and family.

They all laughed. 

Which, I suppose, made the meme successful. But, to me, it was a tad unfair.

Most have heard of dad jokes. They're similar to puns...the worse they are the better they are. This is my opinion--others would disagree. To them, the worse dad jokes/puns are, the worse they are. There's a simplicity to this type of humor. It's understandable...maybe too much so.

I have a few stand-by dad jokes. The above Dad Test contains things I myself have said, and that I will continue to say. "Look, horses," I say that all the time. When I read the test to my family, they thought it was hilarious. But then, I heard some say, "That's something I say." My kids (and wife...) who admitted to saying some of the things on the test were not dads, so that's why I felt the test was a little unfair.

Maybe the title of the test should be, "How Prone To Saying Silly And/Or Dumb Things Are You?" But, the focus is on dads. Dads say silly and/or dumb things all the time. I know I do. It's part of the job, in my opinion. The world can survive without humor, but it's a far worse place to be.

I thought, as I started reading the dad test questions, there would be one thing dads say, one silly thing I expected to be on the list--one thing I say almost every time I can. Whenever I pass a cemetery, I always say, "Look--a cemetery. People are dying to get in there."

I say it...the family groans. It's a deal and we play our part. It works for us.

At least, it works for me. I guess I pass the dad test.

2 comments:

  1. Haha!! Love this!! I was reading the list and thinking how many of those things I say, so your post is relatable!! My Great Uncle Sandoval would tell us that cemetery joke, haha!! A very fatherly figure, he was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how we all say some of the same things. :)

      Delete