Sunday, August 20, 2023

Give Thanks...Remembering A Sister On Her Birthday

When it comes to birthdays, some are bigger than others. I know 50 is a huge birthday, but for some reason, 55 seems to be like a big one to me. It's a fun one to send birthday wishes to friends on social media. I call it the "Double Nickel Club."

Corny, I know...

Today, my sister would have turned 55. She passed just over a year and a half ago. It's strange...almost everyone has been affected recently by a friend, acquaintance, or family member passing away much too soon. I suppose that's always happened. Young people unfortunately pass away. My father didn't make it to 50 for example. We all know someone who died young.

The funny thing is, if my sister were still with us, I know I'd send her a "Happy birthday" social media message, but would I go to her house and celebrate in person? Would I go further and actually buy her a present? My guess is I would not. I say this because when she was with us, we didn't gather, we didn't exchange gifts.

Missed opportunities...

That can never be reclaimed.

I'm grateful I had 53 years with my sister. Like all of us, she was kind and sweet and flawed and fierce and wonderful. I miss her still.

Happy, Birthday, Sis! Welcome to the Double Nickel Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment