Wednesday, August 16, 2023

It's the Little Buggers You Don't See...


Tonight I snapped a picture of our backyard from the safety of my kitchen. It looks serene, peaceful, almost quaint. But, there's a secret, a deep-dark secret lurking, unseen by the naked eye...

Mosquitos.

And, oh--are they bad right now.

Where we used to live, we didn't find ourselves outside too often. Our yard didn't lend itself to it. Of course, we used the yard for many things--it was a great place for our kids to grow up in. They had a mountain and a dead-end street. We loved that, but we didn't go outside much and just hang out.

We got a big dog. We moved. We put in a fence.

Now, we love spending time outside, except at certain times of the year. Namely, right now.

I noticed the mosquitos last year. I couldn't believe how many of the little monsters were flying around. We tried spraying, we bought a bug zapper, and it helped, but they always seemed to return. This spring and summer I decided to pay more attention to the mosquitos. I noticed something interesting. 

They're not bad all the time...just at certain times.

Even as late as last week, the mosquitos weren't too numerous. I could spend time with the the dog playing fetch. I didn't have to worry. There was a time a few months ago when I noticed a higher number of mosquitos, then they seemed to go away. They've come back this week big time.

I actually feel better about the backyard bug situation this year, because I know it's not a consistent problem. As long as I know that, I can deal with it. I'll just try and limit my outdoor fun during the weeks of terror and enjoy the time outside even more during the non-weeks.

Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment