Thursday, August 24, 2023

Now...To Try And Get This Thing To Fly


 Since we're heading into the weekend, I decided to unbox a drone I bought about a year ago. For me, a drone has been one of those things, that--if I had the funds--I would buy a nice one...

At least, I think I would.

I follow several photographers on social media who use their their drones to capture incredible photos and videos. They make it look so effortless, and for all I know, maybe it is. I suspect, however, like any art form, the more you practice, the better you become.

This drone of mine is not a good one, I fully admit. Then again, I didn't want a good one, really. I wanted something on which I could learn the basics. After I bought it (and a back-up drone was thrown in the garage sale deal...), I went to the backyard and fired it up. It immediately tuned upside-down and crashed. I've had a couple of really cheap drones and they never did that. After a few attempts, I put the drone back in the box and set it aside to open another day.

Today was that other day.

I wanted to check the camera so I took off the propellers (to avoid getting hurt...) and tried it out. I got it to work and even sync'd it with the smartphone app. So far so good. After it got too dark to take outside, I decided to look online to see if there were any instructional videos on this particular model that might help. Yes, there are. Turns out, there are several steps I must do to calibrate the drone and the remote. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'm going to give it another chance.

I've wondered if I really want to invest good money in a top-tier drone. I'm sure I'd like it, but would I use it? Do I want it mostly because I don't have it? That's happened before and I hate finding out the main reason I want something is because I don't have it and once I get it, it's not like I imagined.

Hopefully, I'll get the thing to fly. If so, I hope also it takes photos and videos good enough to share. If not, well, since it was a garage sale find, I won't be out too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment