Sunday, August 27, 2023

Give Thanks...For Replacements


 I began my daily blog in January, 2011. In order to successfully maintain a daily blog, you must blog daily. Yup...it's true. In order to do this, you must have reliable equipment. Until about 2015, or there about, I used my first MacBook Pro to create my posts. The laptop was big (huge, by today's standards), a great keyboard, a CD/DVD drive, card readers, and a battery that needed replacing on a regular basis.

I used that computer every day--literally. I used to so much I wore off some of the numbers and letters on the keyboard. I had so many photos and other programs on that computer, it began to drag. That, plus the battery began to expand to the point where it became tough to type anything and it took forever to open even one program. Creating a blog post required a lot of time.

I needed a new computer.

I bought another MacBook Pro.

It served me well.

At least, until this month, when it died.

My first Apple laptop was white and plastic. It was another great machine. It too had battery issues, but back then, you could just pop out the old one and inset a new one without taking apart the computer. The metal MacBook Pro models are not so accommodating. The reason my first MacBook Pro failed me was in part due to the battery, and wouldn't you know it--my second MacBook Pro stopped working this month was due to battery issues.

I found a deal on a used MacBook Air. I'm writing this blog post on the air. I like it, plus the best part is, it's newer and therefore, has a newer battery. Hopefully, I won't have to worry about it for a while.

When I think about how we can replace a computer cheaper than a new set of car tires, it's astounding. Computers used to cost more than cars...not so much anymore. I'm grateful I live in this time. I'm also grateful I have a replacement laptop to continue my daily blogging streak...

4601 posts...and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment