Thursday, August 3, 2023

Hiding In Plain Sight...


 Of course, the sunflower plant was there the whole time. I just didn't see it. Then, as if overnight, the sunflower plant exploded.

Now, it's almost the tallest thing in our backyard.

That's the thing about yard work...it's never ending. Literally. Each year we've been able to take care of more and more of the space that needs de-weeding. The goal is to have less work to do in the yard as time goes on. Thank goodness for the fabric ground cover to deny the weeds any light.

We have a garden in the backyard and that's where the sunflower plant grew and grew. We'd been trying to stay ahead of the weeds, but this summer, it was a lost cause. We had many issues that came up this summer...a wedding, a grandchild, you know...the basics. Every time I saw a weed get big, I'd pull it.

But, I missed one.

Personally, I love sunflowers. They're happy flowers, fun, in a word...sunny. For now, we're letting it continue to grow skyward. The flowers are now sprouting which is good for bees, and it looks nice. We will be taking it out of the garden when we take out all the plants in the fall, so it will be eventually go. I'm hoping next year I'll be more on top of things. Then again...

Since the plant was so sneaky, it's earned its right to stay. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment