Saturday, August 26, 2023

It's Back...Baby!


 My wife and I were discussing August yesterday. It feels like the longest month of the year. Maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the because of things that happen in the fall can finally start. Then again...

Maybe it's because it's the month college football begins.

My wife would not agree as she does not feel the same way as I do when it comes to college football. For me, it seems like the end of August will never come, but every year it eventually does. 

I have a love/hate relationship with college football. It is my favorite sport to watch. I've showed less interest in other sports I used to follow of late...pro football/pro basketball. When it comes to college football, I love watching the games, but I also hate it because of my unrealistic expectations as a fan. I've got my team favorites, of course, but every year it seems the "big boys" will once again leave the field hoisting the championship trophy. I know I should be happy because my favorite team wins more games than they lose and I know they're not on the same level as the "big boys." Then again...

Maybe they are?

See? That's what I'm talking about. I spend all year listening to "experts" and they say how great my team will be. Maybe it's my fault because of who I listen to. Human nature, I guess. We want to hear people say things that reinforce what we believe, or what we believe to be true.

Hopefully this year, I'll reign in my emotions, think critically, and just enjoy the victories and accept the defeats, and appreciate the best time of the sports year.

I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment