Monday, September 12, 2011

The Land Yacht...


The Land Yacht

Remember them? I saw this vehicle while driving out and about today and, oh, the thoughts that came back into my mind. I had to snap a picture or two. The station wagon--not many out there anymore--was replaced, in my area at least, by the Suburban, which was replaced by the minivan, which is being replaced by the SUV. Who says humans don't evolve?

Growing up, my family was small (small by Utah standards...). When my father was with us, the car of choice was a Buick Electra 225. I even wrote a blog about it (here's the link: The 225). With him gone, there were only four of us, and four people cannot justify purchasing a sweet station wagon. My friends, of course, had station wagons so I did have the opportunity to experience what life was like driving in a station wagon.

And, I must say, the best, BEST part of the classic station wagon was the reversed fold-away back seat. I remember going camping a couple of times and was lucky enough to ride in that back bench seat. The view from the panoramic back window showed the road just travelled as we sat backwards at the back of the wagon. We sat and watched the world go by, the world the car just left. It's a great way to see things, reflecting on the life you've lived...


No comments:

Post a Comment