Sunday, September 18, 2011

Post Game Thoughts...


I stayed up until after 2 a.m. this morning before I went to sleep. Since I didn't watch the big game live, I hit the DVR around 11:30 p.m. I watched every play, every down, and every fumble.

There are so many dynamics to a basic college football game. Make it a rivalry game and these dynamics increase exponentially, so many I cannot possibly include them here. I'll leave that to others who actually get paid to comment on such things.

I attended the University of Utah in the late 80's and early 90's so I remember blow-outs in the Holy War, and the blow-outs (except for one...) occurred by BYU over Utah. Cougar fans feel this morning what Ute fans felt almost every year.

There was one year, 1988 to be specific, when the tables were turned and Utah rose to the challenge and kicked some rivalry butt on the brothers from Utah county. Scott Mitchell (who was in Prof Vroman's macro economics class with me...) led the men in red over the boys in blue 57-24...such a great game. My neighbor and good friend Lance played in that game. 

Now, the fans either boast or bow their heads in shame. It really doesn't matter much, in the grand scheme of things. But, it does give those who care of such things roughly 12 months to carry these emotions with them like either a jeweled crown on their heads of a lead ball chained to their leg. Being part of the former group, I'm glad I'm not dragging that chain around for the next 12 months...


1 comment:

  1. I graduated from BYU, and hubby's family is very BYU (my BIL/SIL were at the game) ... I'm not sure WHERE my little Ute fans came from. It's the decor for #1's bedroom ...

    Hubby and I caught a little of the game while out to eat (who knew the Italian place nearby had tvs in it??) ... we just have the most basic cable, so we couldn't watch at home.

    ReplyDelete