Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shadow In The Sky...


At times we go for walks at work. The reason to go on these walks accomplishes several things, but mostly it gets us out of the office for a break and gets us rejuvenated to finish our shifts.

Today we walked over to the hospital to pick up some lunch (they actually have good food over there...many of the hospital employees eat there). I just happened to look up and I noticed the sky, and one thing in particular caught my attention.

If you look at the line at the left on the picture, you'll see the jet contrail switches from a white to a dark line. The darker line is somewhat hard to see. This dark line is actually the shadow the contrail casts from above. I tried figuring out how the shadow could appear like that. Was the air dirty and the shadow was reflecting off the pollution? I really don't know, but it was something that I don't think I've ever seen before. If any of our with much more knowledge on the subject as to why and how this happens, I'd love to hear from you.

To me, this picture shows that there are interesting things all around us if we only stop, take a break, and look around. Had I not looked up on our little walk, I would have missed it (and I would have needed to write about something else for my daily blog post...).

No comments:

Post a Comment