Thursday, August 16, 2012

Is It Art, Or Is It A Weapon?


If you're downtown in Salt Lake City and you happened to be by the Capitol Theater, you may have seen...well, I don't really know what to call it. See for yourself. If you're planning on visiting the theater, just take a few steps west. Believe me, you can't miss it.


Hundreds, maybe a thousand of these things grew from the gravel. A thin sidewalk divided the sections of rising gray things. We could have walked around it, but hey...I'm in the big city! Time to experience life!


My fellow adventurers and I walked down the sidewalk. I was trying to walk and take pictures at the same time when one of the eerie gray things came swinging at my face. When you're walking by them, they look like they're made of steel, immobile, silent, cold steel. But NO! They're actually made of rubber and they can be manipulated until the become weapons to unsuspecting bloggers who are taking pictures. You've been warned! (and now that you know the secret, you too can freak out your friends!)


I'm not an art snob (at least, I don't think I am...). I'm sure someone, or many people, spent several hours, if not days, envisioning, creating, and installing this piece of work for us all to experience and enjoy. But for me on this particular day, it almost put my eye out...

No comments:

Post a Comment