Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Tom Boy Cafe Now...


Like many things in my little town, change has come to the corner of State and 1st East where a diner called the Tom Boy Cafe once stood. Today it's called the Top Stop Chevron...same location, but so, so different.


We moved to Farmington, Utah maybe a decade after the section of Interstate 15 was put in west of town. Before that, all traffic had to pass the Tom Boy Cafe. I'm sure it did a good business in its day. The restaurant/gas station remained opened for a few years after we moved in. I remember going in there only a few times...mostly as I headed home from school. I don't think my family ever ate there. It had a long bar with red bar stools. Of course, there are many Farmington-ites who remember the place much better than I am so if my memories are incorrect, I apologize.


My scoutmaster bought the business and over time the Tom Boy Cafe ceased to exist. The business went through many different names and different owners. The original building is completely gone and it's been replaced by a modern gas station and convenience store. I'm sure it's for the best. Still, I would love to see that old building (along with other long-gone buildings...) just one more time. I guess I'll just have to close my eyes and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment