Wednesday, July 15, 2015

John Brown's "Servant Of A Dark God"...A Book Review


About a year ago I made a decision to read more, which, considering I go through about one or two audiobooks a week, was something I didn't think I needed to do.

I was wrong.

I have gone through so many books since making that decision, the most recent being John Brown's Servant of a Dark God.

It's excellent!

One advantage--at least for me--is my retention level seems to increase when I read a book as opposed to listening to someone read them to me. I've listened to many Brandon Sanderson audiobooks and I know I missed some of the details. Then again, Mr. Sanderson is such an amazing author that his words probably sail over my head not because of his writing but because of my ability to understand. I'll have to read the physical versions those books to be sure.

But, enough of Brandon's works. This blog post is about John Brown and his wonderful book. What I loved most about Servant of a Dark God is that I really got into his world. I understood the factions, the political and caste systems that are in place. The characters were well established allowing me to empathize and understand their motives, which brought a higher emotional payoff when I reached the last page. And the monster Brown created is as unique as it is terrifying.


I don't know if modern printings have changed, but the author, when I had this book signed, gave me his opinion on how best to start the book. I followed the instructions and he's right...I think it's the best way to start the book.

I'm so glad this world doesn't end at the end of this book. It's so well established that there are so many directions the story could go. Brown has written two other books with another planned in this series. I've got a lot of reading to do.

You can access the author's website: HERE. I recommend checking it out. Mr. Brown signed my copy three years ago. It's too bad it took me so long to finally read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment