Friday, July 3, 2015

So Long, "Harvey"...It's Been A Pleasure


Tonight another show has come to a close, another production ended. The chairs are empty, the light board levels all turned to zero. Once again, it's a bittersweet time.

People I know that are not involved in community theater wonder how in the world we can dedicate so much time into something without renumeration. It's a fair question. On the surface it's hard to understand how so many would give up time that could be given to family or friends or hobbies or other interests. And there's not really a good answer, either. I can only say, for those of us who do, the time put into the shows garners rewards you can't get anywhere else.


In the past fourteen months, I've been in five shows with only a two-week break when I wasn't in a show. And I'm also doing a summer performing gig, but since I'm getting paid for that one, I consider it a second job, not necessarily a show. But if you count that as a show, then I will have been on one stage or another from May, 2014 to September, 2015.

I've been a wild west show promoter, a pirate in Neverland, Bob Cratchit, one of the three (not so...) little pigs, a cabbie, and a rainmaker. I've been a principle and part of the ensemble, the star of the show and someone on stage for only a few minutes. I auditioned for three of the six shows; the rest I was asked to help out. It's been quite a ride.


And so tonight we'll all change out of our costumes and place our alter egos on hangers in the dressing rooms. We'll thank those who came and drive home alone in our cars. And we'll never again say our lines or hit our marks. Sure, there's a good chance some of us will do shows together again, or see each other at the theater, but the creation we all made over the past three months now disappears like smoke in the wind.

Harvey's been a pleasure. The cast was supremely talented and I was happy to tag along. For those of you who saw it, I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did bringing it to you. And that large white rabbit, well, he'll show up again in another show at another time. I, for one, can honestly say he'll be missed.




No comments:

Post a Comment