Monday, July 13, 2015

Orson Scott Card's "Sarah"...A Book Review

7958*

My local library has an audiobook service that is, at times, limited in its selection. I can't complain too much because it's quite amazing that I can, at no cost to me, download audiobooks that cost a fortune through Audible.Com and other audiobook stores. There's a lot of books I can get, even the popular ones...I just have to be patient.

Having said that, I probably would not have chosen Orson Scott Card's Sarah, not because I don't like Card's books--I do. I like the a lot, but I've already read/listened to so many of his other books, I'm running out of options.

However, I'm so glad I decided to give this one a shot. It's a great book. It's the story of Sarah, wife of Abraham. Those who have studied the Old Testament know the story, but hearing about her life through an historical fiction lens is a wonderful way to find yourself in her world. Much of Card's novel is an interpretation of how the events might have transpired. Which means, most of the small details most likely didn't occur as put forth by the author. Still, it brings an Old Testament story to life, complete with human faults and strengths. The portrayal of Lot's wife is an excellent example of this. She was classic, well worthy of her reputation!

This is the first of Card's The Women of Genesis series. So the next time I see one of these books available through my local library, I won't hesitate to check it out. Having read so many of Mr. Card's books, I don't know why I ever doubted him.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7958.Sarah?ac=1

No comments:

Post a Comment