Thursday, August 29, 2013

Just Hangin' With My Son...


Today I had one of those great days when I could spend all day with my son. He's the youngest, youngest of four, and I can't remember the last time just he and I hung out together.


The first child...well, we had so many times when he and I got to be together. When he was six-years old, he and I appeared in several community theater productions. We did that for many years, mostly in the Christmas shows. It's amazing how fast those 12 years have flown by. I know parents always say things like that, but they do for a reason--because it's true.


My second son, he wasn't one for the theater, at least, when he was younger. He does theater now, and does very well performing in front of audiences, but doing a show when he was younger didn't interest him. I didn't know if he'd ever get into performing, but he loves doing Shakespeare plays with his friends. I'm glad.

 

Then came our daughter. Like our oldest, she loves performing and even had a solo in the first show she did. She was six. She and I have done many shows together, but I'm taking some time off this year because of my job and my writing.

When I do a show with my kids, we end up spending a lot of time together, just them and me, not so much when we get to the theater, but all the time driving to and from. They're great opportunities to spend time with your kids. If you're looking for a way to do this, I recommend it. 

But today, it was just me and the kid. We did a little shopping, bought some lunch that doubled as dinner, and watched the Utes beat the Aggies. He's now asleep on an air mattress in the front room. We let them do that on special occasions.

For me, today was a special occasion, but I'm sleeping in my bed.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to spend quality one-to-one time - you'll both remember it forever.

    ReplyDelete