Wednesday, January 15, 2014

An Object of Beauty...A Steve Martin Yarn

19884173*

As I rode the bus to work this morning, I logged into my local library's website to see if there were any interesting audiobooks available. That's when I came across An Object of Beauty, by Steve Martin. I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Since grad school I've been trying to immerse myself in the classics, with a scattering of science fiction, fantasy, and steampunk mixed in to make things more interesting. I have not read, nor have I kept up with other literature genres. I knew Mr. Martin is an author. I had not idea just how prolific he has been.

An Object of Beauty deals with the world of art auctions and dealers covering a 10-year period of time beginning in the 1990s. There are few subjects I know less about than the art scene in New York. The book did a good job of introducing me to this interesting world.

Steve Martin is an excellent writer, but the fact of who he is and his previous accomplishments kept creeping into the story and it was difficult to get those images and impressions out of my head as I read the book. I was able to read/listen to the entire book today.

 Perhaps the best thing I can say about the book is that, in my humble opinion, if he were not famous for being a comedian, actor, screenwriter, director, and musician, Steve Martin could make a very good living as a writer. I wonder when the next Steve Martin book will be available from the library because when it is, I'll be checking it out.

* Photo used without permission from: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19884173-an-object-of-beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment